Sunday, June 8, 2008

The Four Greatest Words


"Mom, you're the best!" It tells you what kind of mom I am that it only took 5 1/2 years and four children to hear this without bribes or prodding, but the wait totally paid off. It still brings a smile to my face when I think about it.

Nathan, my 3 year old, came running into the kitchen about three weeks ago (yes it takes me this long to write it down), threw his arms around me and cheered, "Mom, you're the best!" My reaction must have been what he was looking for because he has repeated this same scenario about eight times since. It is like the experiment where they ring the bell and then give the dog food. After a while all they have to do is ring the bell and the dog salivates. Let's just say Nathan has "found my currency." Now it has become, "Mom, youre the best (hug for 10 seconds)...Can I have some yogurt?" or "Mom, you're the best (hug for 3 seconds)...will you hold me instead of making me go to bed with everyone else?" How do I say no to that!?!? I am sure this won't last and soon it will be "You're the meanest mom ever." Don't you love it!

3 comments:

Jim said...

Nathan is a real charmer. He has a world-class smile.

Mer said...

Look at that cutie patootie! He's such a love bug. :)

Triple A said...

That is soo sweet. Kids say the cutest things. But I don't believe he is just saying it to get what he wants. He loves his mommy.